Monday, June 04, 2007

Jealous, No More

My ex-roommate Peggy is naturally slim, and I’ve always been jealous of her. When we were rooming together, she had the ability to keep unfinished bags of chips and chocolate bars on her desk, which was something I wasn’t able to do. Not only that, I would eat her unfinished food behind her back. I’m sure she knew and thought I was a pig.

We went to visit her, and although she had just given birth two months ago, she looked like she had already returned to her pre-pregnancy weight. We came for dinner, but she didn’t eat a bite, saying that she was fine with a hot pocket a day. She then touted that she had lost 20 pounds, since she given birth because she was so stressed about breastfeeding. It seems like a strange thing to be proud of, but I guess since thinness is so important in this society, losing weight for any reason, including stress, would be considered something to be proud of. I, on the other hand, gain weight when stressed. And although I was subconsciously comparing myself to her, I did not feel jealous this time.

I’m finally losing my pregnancy weight, but I’m doing it by developing healthy habits. And although Peggy is slim, she is by no means healthy. She’s a moody person, and I think she can easily remedy this if she ate a little bit more. But since she has a poor appetite, I can imagine this would be a challenge for her.

So no one’s perfect, but I’m happy to say that I no longer want to exchange my imperfections for hers.

1 comment:

TrixieBelden said...

I think your realizations are great! I know I have had difficult times comparing my weight and eating habits to old roommates and friends. It is always good when you can get an objective perspective on them and realize that they don't have all the answers either.

I fear no one’s opinion! I am knowledgeable, focused, and efficient. I make this priority and build from experience. I do this for my children and myself. Supported by love, I will persevere.