Thursday, March 08, 2007

Cutting the Calories

The neat thing about Spark People. is that they not only track calories but they track fat, carbohydrates, and protein. What I have discovered is that I’m good with carbohydrates and protein, but fat I often have more than I should. Looking at the food I eat, I find that I rely on fat to enjoy my vegetables. I’m afraid that I don’t think I would be eating vegetables if it weren’t for the Ranch dressing. I know I can always do stir fry, but I seem to be lazy. I heard a doctor on the radio say that in order to lose weight you should cut refine carbohydrates and that everything else doesn’t matter as long as you cut the calories. I think fat in itself is the not problem, but the fact that it pushes my calorie intake over what I should be consuming is the problem.

I’m thinking of replacing some of the ground beef I make with ground turkey to cut back on calories. I have no issues with the taste of ground turkey, but my husband does. He’s a big meat eater and can taste the difference between ground turkey and ground beef and makes a big stink whenever I replace one for the other. Last week I told him I was thinking of giving turkey a try again, and he didn’t argue so I think it will be okay. I know it will be a sacrifice for him, and it makes me feel bad. I’m thinking of maybe using half turkey and half beef in my dishes that call for beef. Maybe that won’t offend his taste buds.

1 comment:

TrixieBelden said...

One I idea for using ground turkey - when I make "hamburgers" with ground turkey I add chopped onion and a packet of Lipton's onion soup mix. The spices in the dry soup mix makes the "burgers" soooo much better and I don't think it adds to the calories or fat, but it will add to the salt if that's something you're concerned with. Good luck!

I fear no one’s opinion! I am knowledgeable, focused, and efficient. I make this priority and build from experience. I do this for my children and myself. Supported by love, I will persevere.