Monday, July 31, 2006

Taking Advantage and Changing My Routine

I have a tendency to only be able to focus on one thing at a time. I also have a tendency to obsess over that one thing 24/7 until the intensity fizzles off to obscurity. Right now my focus is 100% on strategizing on my weight loss plan and blogging. This usually takes between 2-4 weeks. Afterwards I cycle to unfocused boredom then on to the next obsession. I'm trying to temper my cycle so that I don't waste my time in the extremes of it where I can't seem to be productive in other facets of my life. At the same time, I am trying to ride on this intense focus to set-up a time-efficient workout and weight loss plan, so that when focus disappears I can go on cruise control. Analyzing my plan so far, I realized that I had made my efforts too time consuming and tedious, which was one of the reasons why I had fallen out of focus in the recent past (more on that later).

Back in January 2004 I had developed a workout routine that I held myself to religiously (except when sick or amnesic). It when like this...

5 days/wk aerobics 30-60min
3-days/wk strength training 10-30min
Stretch muscles used after each workout
10 mins of warm-up and cool-down each workout

Now I'm revisiting that routine, hoping to make it more efficient. The new one looks more like this...

3days/wk aerobic 45-60
2days/wk strength training at least 20min
3days/wk stretch 10min
10 mins of warm-up and cool-down each workout

This will change my typical workout session from 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes, but it will decrease the frequency from 5x/wk to 3x. I'm hoping I can cut back on prep time and time it takes to warm up and cool down.

If anyone has any feedback out my workout routine so far, I would appreciate it.

These are the books I use to develop my workout routine…

Getting in Shape (Barnes & Noble Basics Series) by Carol Leonetti Dannhauser, Sandra Michaelson-Warren, and Sandra Michaelson Warren

and

“A Lifetime of Weight Control and Fitness” by Debra Waterhouse
Does anyone else know of any other books that are easy to understand?

4 comments:

Jenna said...

I tried working out at home but it never worked for me. I had to find something that I love. That is why I joined the YMCA and started doing water areobics and swimming laps.
When I did work out at home I had a routine, but it included Richard Simmons - Sweatin to the Oldies.
Good Luck!

Askazombiehousewife said...

I change my workouts when I get board or I ended up back sliding.
Right now I am walking.

The Relentless Reader said...

That sounds like a darn good routine to me! Inspiring as well :)

Hey, we're both from Hayward. Of course my Hayward is in Wisconsin.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lily,
Thanks for mentioning my book. I'm glad you find it easy to understand and wish you well in your endeavor!
Carol Dannhauser

I fear no one’s opinion! I am knowledgeable, focused, and efficient. I make this priority and build from experience. I do this for my children and myself. Supported by love, I will persevere.