Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Orange Sunday and Southwestern Bean Dip


I hosted a Superbowl Party on Sunday. Before that, my mother-in-law gave us a bag full of her homegrown sour oranges. And you know what they say when life gives you sour oranges make orange something, and that’s what I did for my party. Here was my menu.

Appetizer: Southwestern bean dip with chips
Salad: romaine lettuce with ORANGE vinaigrette
Main: ORANGE vinaigrette chicken with wild rice
Dessert: ORANGE bread

When I watch Iron Chief, I always thought it would be fun to make a three-course meal incorporating one ingredient. Now I done it, and it WAS fun. However, by the end of the evening I was oranged out, and my acid reflux was none too happy with it.

Not surprisingly, the big hit of the party was the bean dip, the only thing on the menu that didn’t have orange. Originally, I had intended to make it using a recipe from Eating Well, but I ended up omitting half of the ingredients and adding more of what I did use for compensation, coming up with a whole different recipe. I thought I would share it here:

Southwestern Bean Dip

1 16-ounce can refried beans
4 scallions, sliced
1/2 cup prepared salsa
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 plum tomatoes, chopped
1 medium avocado, chopped

1. Combine refried beans, scallions, salsa, and chili powder in a medium bowl. Transfer to a shallow 2-quart microwave-safe dish; sprinkle with cheese.
2. Microwave on High until the cheese is melted and the beans are hot, 3 to 5 minutes.3. Scatter with tomato and avocado.

Makes 6 servings. 198 calories, 12 g fat, 16.5 g carbs, 3.3 g fiber, 9.2 g protein


EatingWell also has a tortilla chip recipe that I used to accompany this dip and was delish.

No comments:

I fear no one’s opinion! I am knowledgeable, focused, and efficient. I make this priority and build from experience. I do this for my children and myself. Supported by love, I will persevere.