Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Great Outdoors

I went biking with my sister again! I love it! I love being outside.

My husband and I are planning to move sometime in the future. We had wanted to move last year but chickened out. We were looking to move either between my parents’ and his parents’ house or in-land where house prices are cheaper, schools are better, and weather’s crapper. My husband recently discovered that homes inland were decreasing and asked me if I wanted to move there. I told him that I wasn’t too thrilled with the weather aspect. He reassured me that air-conditioning would make it bearable, but I told him I was spoiled by the pleasant weather near the bay were I can go outside on a whim and be reassured I be comfortable. He looked at me as if I was crazy and said, “You hardly go outside anyways!” I was shocked by his lack of knowledge of me. Don’t I go walking around the neighborhood and know the activities of the children going to and from school? Don’t I take my kids to the park every chance I get? Don’t I force him to go with me hiking? I think he was confusing me with himself who abhors low-technology environments. The matter of fact is, I totally love the outdoors. The number one reason I chose my undergrad college was its remote location in the wooded mountains. We met in that undergrad college and I have memories of how miserable he was, so I try not to subject him too much to the things I enjoy. Kind of like how other women don’t force their husband to go shopping with them. Unfortunately for him, I’ll be finishing with school and will have more time to force him to enjoy the outdoors.

1 comment:

Lorrie said...

thank you for all of the lovely comments on my blog.
I hope you and your husband find a nice place to live that suits you both, hiking included.
I miss my little hikes in West Virginia. I wonder if there is hiking in central park?
Anyway, your bike ride sounds lovely! Take Care!
PS: will be adding you to my inspirational blogs today so I can keep checking back.
-Lorrie
The Token Fat Girl

I fear no one’s opinion! I am knowledgeable, focused, and efficient. I make this priority and build from experience. I do this for my children and myself. Supported by love, I will persevere.