Monday, August 14, 2006

Around and Around I Go...

Change of plans (again). I’ve decided to not abstain from any foods. I have no confidence in my ability to not obsess over foods that are taboo to me. I am going to try and train myself to eat these foods in moderation using behavioural modification.

If it seems like I’m wishy-washy and have no idea what I’m doing, you’re right. I have no money to have an expert tell me exactly what to do. In addition, I have issues with commitment. I know I should at least give something a try for 2 weeks before abandoning it, but I’m also impatient.

I’m back to my original plan: behaviour modification.

Targeted behaviour: Eat too much during celebrations.
Goal: Eat only until comfortable during celebrations 8 out of 10 times.
How: (1) Limit to one plate and one serving of desert. (2) Play with kids right after I eat.
Reward: aerobics tape.

Targeted behaviour: Consume sweets when overwhelmed or stressed.
Goal: Decrease consumption of sweets when overwhelmed or stressed 8 out of 10 times.
How: Replace behaviour with blogging, cleaning house, or going outside with kids when overwhelmed or stressed.
Reward: calorie book

Targeted behaviour: Overeat when with my mom or at my mom’s house.
Goal: Decrease overeating with my mom or at my mom’s house 8 out of 10 times.
How: I don’t know. Therapy?
Reward: rock climbing lessons

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

That's a good idea to not ban specific foods. I like your format of goals.

Thanks for the advice, I am interested in learning to cook, it just seems so hard. I've got a few books I'm going to start reading though :)

I fear no one’s opinion! I am knowledgeable, focused, and efficient. I make this priority and build from experience. I do this for my children and myself. Supported by love, I will persevere.